This is an overview of user management. Many of these topics will be discussed in detail elsewhere. Where possible, links to additional information are provided. This article contains the following sections:
- Individual User Accounts in the University
- Benefits of Group Hierarchies in Your University
- How to Send Emails to Everyone in a Group
- What to do if a Profile Already Exists
- What to do if a User Didn’t Receive or Deleted Invitation Email
There is no limit to how many administrators your university can have. There are different levels of administrators, each with different permissions/access.
- University Admin – Full access to everything in your university.
- Group Admin – Access to reporting and management (retakes, enrollment, grading) of users in their group.
- Group Report Viewer – Access to reporting for users in their group.
- Course Admin – Access to a specific course and only users in that course.
For more information, see Changing/Adding Administrator Roles.
Individual User Accounts in the University
There are a handful of ways user accounts are created.
- Self-registration user creates their own account (Public University ONLY).
- Admin Created administrator creates the account.
- Bulk Upload administrator can bulk upload users from Excel.
- Single Sign-On pass over login credentials from another secure site.
Benefits of Group Hierarchies in Your University
- Groups keep your user accounts organized.
- You can segment your users by type of user (user type, geographic location, industry, etc.).
- You can run reports on a specific group or groups of users.
- You can limit courses to only be available to certain groups of users within your university.
How to Send Emails to Everyone in a Group
You can use the Course Emailer to email everyone in a group (even when they are not in a course). This is useful for communicating information about the university and/or courses to a specific group of users without having to do so one at a time.
What to do if a Profile Already Exists
Sooner or later you will try to add a user into your university who already exists in the BlueVolt system of universities. See Add Users to Your University for information.
What to do if a User Didn’t Receive or Deleted Invitation Email
Send/Resend Email Invitation will show you how to resend an email invitation if a user doesn’t receive or deletes it.